How Long Does It Take For A Water Tank To Fill Up?
How to Refill a Hot Water Tank
Hot water tanks are sometimes drained and left dry in vacant homes to ensure a freshwater supply upon refilling and start-up. In the case of new homes, installers of home tanks may also keep the tank dry until the home is occupied. Although a call to the HVAC company is the rule, you can refill your hot water tank and save a technician's time and expense. No special skills are required, but you'll need to get to know the parts of a tank and how they work for a good, problem-free filling.
1. Ensure that the circuit breaker cuts off electricity to the tank. Sometimes the breaker switch is numbered and can be located in the main electrical panel of your house. If the breaker for hot water heaters is not numbered, switch the main power breaker to the "off" position. In the case of water heaters powered by gas, make sure that the gas selector switch is set to "pilot."
2. Familiarize yourself with the parts of the hot water heater, including the water fill pipe that runs from the top of the tank and is the only one of two pipes with a turning valve; the relief valve that is located on the top or upper side of the boiler, known as a brass mechanism with a metal lever; and the drain valve that is at the bottom of the tank and resembles a water spigot in the garden.
3. Ensure that the drain valve and relief valves are closed; the drain valve is closed by rotating the valve handle incomplete clockwise direction and closing the relief valve by moving the lever to the left.
4. Switch on one or more hot water faucets in the house to help the tank and pipes escape air as water fills and shows that the tank has reached capacity as water starts to flow from the faucet.
5. Switch the circuit breaker on or switch the gas knob to "warm." Press the red ignition button a few times until the gas burner ignites, and within a few hours, you'll have hot water.
Each year drain and refill your tank to prolong the tank life and prevent the formation of rust and sediment.
As the tank fills, search for leaks in the drain and relief valves. Tighten the valves further if leakage occurs.
If the gas water heater does not fire, make sure to turn the gas valve on. You will find the valve on the pipe which leads to the region around the gas sector knob. The valve lever shall be at an angle of 90 degrees to the pipe when the valve is closed. The gas is on when the lever is parallel to the valve.
Do not apply electricity to an empty hot water heater because it will fail to heat the part.
The second pipe protruding from the top of the tank will become very hot when the tank is full and water is up to temperature. This is the return pipe of hot water that feeds on the water system. Touching the pipe can result in severe burns.